The most anticipated Canadian karting event of the year has finally arrived. This week the 2013 ASN Canada FIA Canadian National Karting Championships hit the track for the 15th version of the race, for five days of intense action, all to determine our nine 2013 Canadian Champions. Seeking the glory of a National title, the countries best kart racers have their way to Goodwood Kartways, just north of Toronto, with Rotax drivers also seeking invitations to join Team Canada at this years Rotax Max Challenge Grand Finals, while the Briggs & Stratton drivers have a full array of prizes on the table. A large amount of pre-entries predicts a very successful event as the Nationals returns to Ontario after three years in Mont-Tremblant, Quebec.
CKN will be trackside for the entire event, with our usual Live Blog for those at home, as well as results as they happen on social media and posted to our competitions page when available. Video interviews will also be on tap as we highlight each days successors. Be sure to check out https://canadiankartingnews.com/live to follow the action beginning with Canadian Tire SuperPole Friday.
With views on predicting who should fare well in working toward those goals, Canadian Karting News has prepared unique class previews for this year’s National Championships, with staffers Cody Schindel, Neelan Nadesan, Parker Thompson and Jason Holland submitting predictions for each class. Taking into account results from this year in the Eastern Canadian Karting Championship, Western Canadian Championship and Coupe du Quebec; last year’s performances in Tremblant, and their general track record, drivers were ranked by the CKN panel. Then, taking the average of the four ballots, an unofficial class ranking was created. Drivers that were not listed on all four ballots were issued a score of 6.
This weekends headline class is surely the Rotax Senior division. All season long we have seen many different winners on many different chassis brands. Drivers are also having breakout seasons, while past champions and front runners continue to impress. A little smaller than expected, the class has still provided great racing all season long across the country and with drivers from all over coming to Goodwood, it’s going to be a great show!
Who do you think will win the 2013 ASN Canadian National Karting Championship Rotax Senior Title?
- Pier-Luc Ouellette (31%, 52 Votes)
- Steven Szigeti (10%, 16 Votes)
- Zachary Claman DeMelo (8%, 14 Votes)
- Olivier Bedard (8%, 13 Votes)
- Zacharie Scalzo (8%, 13 Votes)
- Chris Glover (8%, 13 Votes)
- Kevin Monteith (7%, 12 Votes)
- Other (7%, 11 Votes)
- Tyler Kashak (5%, 8 Votes)
- Michael Kundakcioglu (5%, 8 Votes)
- Skylar Dunning (4%, 7 Votes)
Total Voters: 167
One of the most exciting classes to watch across the country this season has been Rotax Senior. There have been many different winners in Eastern Canadian Karting Championship, Western Canadian Championship, and Coupe du Quebec competitions and they are all at Goodwood seeking the same thing; Canadian National glory. There are many drivers entered this year with the potential of joining Team Canada for the Rotax Grand Finals, but with only one ticket up for grabs this weekend it is going to be a great show!
Who do you think will win the 2013 ASN Canadian National Karting Championship Rotax Junior Title?
- Devlin Defrancesco (38%, 87 Votes)
- Natael Cantin (23%, 53 Votes)
- Gianfranco Mazzaferro (15%, 34 Votes)
- Other (7%, 17 Votes)
- Jeff Kingsley (7%, 16 Votes)
- Coltin McCaughan (3%, 8 Votes)
- Anthony Tolfa (3%, 6 Votes)
- Alexandre Lacroix (2%, 5 Votes)
- Tyler Ripani (2%, 5 Votes)
- Christophe Paquet (0%, 1 Votes)
- Alex Couturier (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 232
Briggs & Stratton Junior
Like it’s senior division, the Briggs & Stratton Junior class is on a an upswing entering this weekends Canadian Championships. Strong class sizes in ECKC competition have helped build up this years Nationals where drivers from across the country are expected.
After his impressive debut ECKC performance at Goodwood just over a month ago, Austin Bisschop leads the way in our predictions. The youngster from Chatham, Ontario swept the events at Goodwood in fine fashion in his first ever Briggs & Stratton race. He is back this week and looking for more.
Who do you think will win the 2013 ASN Canadian National Karting Championship Briggs & Stratton Jr Title?
- Jordan Latimer (47%, 104 Votes)
- Austin Bisschop (35%, 78 Votes)
- Other (8%, 18 Votes)
- Braxton Terry (4%, 8 Votes)
- Tyler McCullough (3%, 7 Votes)
- Christopher Proietto (3%, 6 Votes)
Total Voters: 221
Briggs & Stratton Senior
Quite possibly the most anticipated class of the weekend, the Briggs & Stratton Senior division looks to be the most exciting class at the Canadian Championships for the second straight year. Already 30 drivers are pre-entered for the event, with many more expected. It is possible the class could reach 50 drivers, meaning intense heat racing and a Last Chance race!
Who do you think will win the 2013 ASN Canadian National Karting Championship Briggs & Stratton Sr Title?
- Other (23%, 35 Votes)
- Jonathon Treadwell (15%, 23 Votes)
- Tommy Lemaire-Ouellet (12%, 18 Votes)
- Gerald Caseley (10%, 15 Votes)
- Jean-Francois Lafontaine (10%, 15 Votes)
- Sean McPhee (9%, 14 Votes)
- Cory Cacciavillani (7%, 11 Votes)
- Marc Stehle (5%, 8 Votes)
- Scott Nagel (3%, 5 Votes)
- TJ Marshall (3%, 4 Votes)
- Mathieu Demers (2%, 3 Votes)
Total Voters: 151
This year’s Rotax DD2 class has been a bit of a dud compared to previous seasons. Barely cracking ten drivers at any event, the two-speed program has been lacking immensely even if the few that are racing are extremely talented. News the Ben Cooper will not be racing at this years Nationals and ultimately not defend his title came as a shock to CKN, but he has decided to focus more on his KMS North America race team after securing the 2013 Florida Winter Tour Rotax DD2 title and a ticket to the Grand Finals. Cooper has raced all season in the Rotax DD2 class, winning all but one race so far in the Eastern Canadian Karting Championship.
Who do you think will win the 2013 ASN Canadian National Karting Championship Rotax DD2 Title?
- Pier-Luc Ouellette (56%, 96 Votes)
- Other (19%, 33 Votes)
- Marco Di Leo (11%, 18 Votes)
- Fred Woodley (7%, 12 Votes)
- Brendon Bain (5%, 9 Votes)
- Enrico Menotti (1%, 2 Votes)
Total Voters: 170
There is a consensus number one pick as all four of us predicted Matthew Latifi to take the checkered flag at Nationals. Latifi is the defending class champion and has been unstoppable all season long, thus far going undefeated in Eastern Canadian Karting Champion competition. Latifi has shown an incredible determination since he began racing karts full time last season and it has shown by his results.
Who do you think will win the 2013 ASN Canadian National Karting Championship Micro-Max Title?
- Tommy Nepveu (35%, 75 Votes)
- Matthew Latifi (33%, 70 Votes)
- William Chayer (26%, 55 Votes)
- Matthew Barry (3%, 7 Votes)
- Other (3%, 7 Votes)
- Alexandre Legare (0%, 1 Votes)
Total Voters: 215
With this years Rotax Max Challenge Grand Finals including demonstration races for the Mini-Max division, three tickets to New Orleans, USA are up for grabs this weekend for drivers in the class for drivers to join Team Canada at the world-class event. Like Micro-Max, the field is relatively small but provides some great racing action all the way through and with the added incentive of New Orleans on the line, Mini-Max will come down to the wire not only for first, but second and third place as well.
Who do you think will win the 2013 ASN Canadian National Karting Championship Mini-Max Title?
- Antonio Serravalle (29%, 36 Votes)
- Charles Deschenes (21%, 27 Votes)
- Thierry Cote (17%, 22 Votes)
- Joe Soranno (13%, 17 Votes)
- Other (10%, 13 Votes)
- Samuel Lupien (9%, 11 Votes)
Total Voters: 126
Rotax DD2 Masters
The Rotax DD2 Masters class has quickly become the Stuart Clark show in 2013, and it shows on our predictions. All four CKN panelists picked “Stumacher” to top the blocks. Currently he is undefeated in ECKC action this year, and even tried his hands racing with the big boys in Rotax DD2 at Le Monaco. Looking to secure another trip to the Rotax Grand Finals, Clark will be closely monitored throughout the week as the rest of the class looks to gain every inch they can.
Who do you think will win the 2013 ASN Canadian National Karting Championship DD2 Masters Title?
- Stuart Clark (45%, 62 Votes)
- Elvis Stojko (25%, 34 Votes)
- Luc Sauriol (12%, 17 Votes)
- Francis Mondou (11%, 15 Votes)
- Martin Verville (6%, 8 Votes)
- Other (1%, 1 Votes)
Total Voters: 137